Saturday 17 July 2010

I was on facebook and someone I used to be friends with came up in my news feed. I say we used to be friends because we sort of drifted apart during our senior year of high school and then didn't talk when school ended.

I used to do everything with this friend. Sleepovers every other night and even a trip to Mexico. She considered us best friends, though I didn't think of her the same way most of the time. This was because nearly ever conversation I had with her turned into an argument. She had her opinions and she would stick to them, even if it turned every bus ride to school into a long silent ride.

But still, some of the time I did consider her my best friend. She's the only one I told the story to about my parent's divorce and everything else I was feeling. If I cried she would give me a hug and not let go until I felt better. We had some really good times. Her family was the one that introduced me to King Richard's Faire, a medieval faire that takes place about an hour from where I live. She introduced me to the Sims games and to this day I'm still a huge fan.

We would watch Primeval together when it was on television and watch horror movies. She's the only person besides my brother who would do that with me. Now it's been over a year since I've spoken to her, but maybe that's what I needed. The time I was at school was good. I needed my space. Seeing her on facebook though, reminded me of all the good times we had and I'm wondering if I should email her or call her and ask how she's been. I've known her since I was 10 years old, so it's been nearly 10 years now.

I feel terrible about what I said to her the day we stopped talking. The argument we had had that day had just pushed me over the edge and I felt like I couldn't take it any more. Getting back in touch with her would probably mean facing her parents though. They were always kind to me, but had a way of making me feel uncomfortable when I was around them. They could be very critical sometimes but me being me, I would just laugh it off or pretend to ignore it. Can I deal with that again? Or maybe my friend and I can just keep in touch through email.

I don't know what to do.

No comments: