Monday 19 July 2010

BLOOD IN THE WATER

I've always been into sharks. Every year I watch Shark Week on the Discovery channel and every year I refuse to go swimming in the ocean. But that's not because I'm afraid of sharks. That's because when I was little I slipped into the water and started getting pulled out to sea - that's a very good reason to be afraid of the ocean.

I'm watching the movie Jaws right now, which is one of my most favourite movies EVER even though it's like 35 years old. The police officer in the movie was going over lots of shark facts that I learned from watching shark week -

1. most sharks attacks happen within ten feet of the shore and in water that's three feet deep
2. a lot of activity in the water can attract sharks
3. PEOPLE ARE CRAZY WHEN IT COMES TO SHARKS (what in the name of sanity was the stupid mayor THINKING? HE SHOULD HAVE CLOSED THE BEACHES!)

This movie is based off a book which is based off of the real life events that took place in New Jersey in 1916. Of course, the book and the movie have changed things. For example, the real life thing happened in a river, with a bull shark, not on a beach in New York with a Great White. Basically the author of the book (Peter Benchley), just took the basic idea of a crazy shark attacking in a certain area many times and used it because if you compare the attacks in New Jersey to the book or the movie Jaws, you can see many differences.

Now, I haven't read the book in about two years, but one thing that always bothered me was the ending of the movie. Near the end of the movie, when it's getting really intense, Hooper's gone down in the shark cage. The cage breaks, and we're left guessing as to what's happened to him until the very end when he resurfaces and he's fine. In the book though, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't come back at all. We're just left thinking that he's drowned or been eaten by the shark or something. But I guess they wanted a happier ending for the movie.

I'm not there yet in the movie though. I'm at the part where Brody said "We're gonna need a bigger boat." and the shark starts getting all crazy. I can't wait to see the stupid Quint guy get eaten. I don't like him very much.

No comments: